Hi all,
Whew, I have to say, I never thought I would make it through the line at my polling place today, but perseverance paid off. Happy Election day to you all. I went mid morning hoping to beat the lunch crowd and sneak in behind the early birds. Boy was I wrong. I rode my bike because the weather was just gorgeous here today. I stood in line for over 2 hours and actually saw an elderly man collapse. I am not sure if it was the heat or just his age? They had to call the ambulance for him and I think that he is going to be fine. They didn't have to transport him off the premises. I do hope he was still able to cast his vote. As I stood in line today I reflected on what a great thing being able to vote really is. I thought of the millions (yes millions) of people in this world who have never and will never have the right to vote in a democratic election process. I have to say, it made the wait a lot less burdensome for me today. In our parents lifetime there have been minorities who did not have the right to cast a ballot. It is utterly sad. I'm thankful that I haven't know that in my lifetime. I also felt proud to stand in a line, sure of who I am and my vote, and not have judgement cast upon me. Standing there in that line among hundreds of people, I was not Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, or Independent. I was simply another American citizen exercising her right and civic duty. Although I could spend hours talking about where I really stand, but I am perfectly happy to stand in anonymity and simply be an educated voter exercising a right. No matter which candidate you voted for, I hope you did just that.....vote. May the candidate to 270 electoral votes first...win. Hope everyone had a great day!
No comments:
Post a Comment