Sunday, November 30, 2008

Birthdays

You know, it's interesting this year. My birthday was Saturday and I think I'm at that in between age of life. I know where I'm coming from but just not sure of who I'm going to be when I really grow up. When your born your birthday is the happiest day in your parents life. On your first birthday you still don't really know what is going on, but your accomplishments really make your parents proud. By the time your six or seven it's all about you and what you "want" for your birthday. You think about how many toys and "things" you might get, and you still manage to make your parents proud. I have spent many birthdays in the past years without my parents around. This year, I was lucky enough to have them here for Thanksgiving AND my birthday. For the first time, I almost forgot it was my birthday. I wasn't worried about how many cards I would get, or how many calls. (although...i did make a big fuss about the mailman bringing the mail that day!) Let me be clear, those things make me glow with happiness and reflect on how lucky I am to have such great family and friends. This year was different though. For the first time I think I was more proud to spend the day with my parents and my husband than my parents were of me of my accomplishments. I'm not sure proud is the right word, but it was a real sense of completeness. There was nothing fancy, a big breakfast, time shopping and eating with my parents and Josh, and a relaxing evening in front of the Wii. There is no doubt that my parents are so proud of me and what I have done in life so far. They love to come visit, and it's always a relaxing good time. I think it's always going to be different now though. I think I'm a big kid now. One who is proud of what her parents have made her, how they have shaped her, loved her, and encouraged her to just be her. That is a whole lot to be Thankful for this holiday season. Josh and I also want to send a shout out to the family that we couldn't me with this Thanksgiving. We miss you tons and hope to see you after the first of the year! As I mentioned before, my mom brought her Wii out and the four of us had a screaming good time trying to play that thing! I have attached some pictures for your viewing pleasure. Be sure not to have anything to drink or eat while viewing these.....you may choke on laughter! Enjoy.

Here is my mom getting us all started on the Wii. She was the only one who had played the Hula Hoop game before!

This is my Dad trying to figure out Wii bowling. He may have thrown out a shoulder during our tournament!
(p.s. Right now, Mel has the all-time high score!)

Here's Josh really getting serious on the Wii!


And of course Carson had to get his Wii game on too. He would not leave the floor playing area, he really enjoyed watching how silly the rest of us looked!

No comments: