Monday, April 6, 2009

Phase III...Raising the Roof


Hello all,
I hope this entry finds you warm....it's snowing here today with a high of 34. Who knew it was April? Things have been feverishly busy since the last post. Josh has been working overtime to finish all the electrical re-wiring around the house so that he could get the ceiling put up this weekend. As the help arrived on Sunday Josh was putting the finishing touches on the wiring to ready for the drywall. Thanks to 8 whole hours of help from our neighbor Tim, (he rules for several reasons....not the least of which he's a native Scotsman!!!) and three hours from our good buddy Luke.....the drywall on the ceiling is officially up. It was a mammoth milestone in this big project. My job all weekend consisted of ensuring everyone was fed.....and sitting on my rump. I often feel guilty about that until I remember that when at rest I am running a marathon cooking this baby! The even better news than the ceiling being up....that gave me the green light to really scrub the place down for the first time in weeks. Ahhhh, exhausting but yes...therapeutic indeed. Another milestone this week...Josh and I are entering week 16. Although I'm still very tired, things are good. We go next Thursday for our next check-up and are hopeful for a clean bill of health for everyone. My brother and Katie will find out in 2.5 weeks what they are having and everyone is anxiously awaiting. I will be heading home to Cincy at the end of June to celebrate a shower with her. I wanted to also ask for a favor in this blog. My good friend John is in an inpatient rehab unit recovering from a very large and devastating stroke. He needs all the positive thoughts and prayers you can muster. He is only 37 years old and has a long road ahead of him. The stroke was two weeks ago and he is still struggling to get his speech back and eat anything without aspirating. Please add him to your prayer lists and I will be updating about him periodically. Enjoy the latest pics of the nursery in progress.





Here is the last picture of the open space that will soon be the ceiling. Notice the exposed wires...that took Josh the better part of a week to square away. The first piece of drywall is in place and the rest are coming.
The guys finishing the first piece with this contraption that looked like it could torture someone! For $30 Josh said it made the job 100% easier....so glad!

The last piece of ceiling is in place and our neighbor Tim seems happy to be finished!! He's a great guy.

I never seem to have a problem expediting the clean up stage!



And of course Carson is always standing by to oversee things. He is constantly at the center of all the action.



3 comments:

El Cid said...

where is the **** chalkline?

:)

I fully expected to get at least a one night's stay in the crib out of this.

Josh and Mel Byrge said...

I want to point out that in the "better part of a week", I removed about 75% if the knob and tube wiring in the house, not just installed one ceiling light box! As to El Cid's comment...you can stay the night anytime you want after the baby is born. There will be plenty of diapers to change! Thanks again for your help.

Shannon said...

Mel,

Yes I am finally getting to check the blog now at 2233..rough afternoon at work and stayed for the staff meeting. That being said, I am glad that the ceiling is up and you finally got to clean :) I will keep your friend in my prayers. Please keep us all updated.

Heart you,

Shannon

P.S. Another Lunch date STAT please.