Saturday, August 29, 2009

Two Weeks



Henri actually looking quite relaxed after his circumcision today.



Daddy lovin' on his boy after a rough day.

At 3:36 pm Henri Warren Byrge officially turned 2 weeks old. And as if that were not a big enough event, he was shuffled off to another room in the hospital unsuspecting of the encounter he was about to have. He was then undress, placed on a cold hard surface and strapped down at all four extremities. Then it happened....his circumcision was done today. I clearly remember watching one in nursing school thinking I never wanted to see it again..and here we are. I did not view Henri's circ, but I will now be caring for it until it is healed. It's amazing how I can do what I do for a living and care for kids so sick like it's just another day at work, but cry at the drop of a dime when my own son has to go through a circ. Henri did not feed well after his circ, but the feed after that he jumped right back into the swing of things taking 55 cc's (30cc's is 1 ounce) of breast milk. He continues to maintain his own temp in the open crib and has passed his car seat challenge with flying colors. Tonight was a big night on the scale....this was a huge test. In the past 24 hours he has been thrown a lot of challenges and we really wanted to see weight gain. Henri came in at 4 lbs. 5 oz. He continues to please the doctors and most importantly...his parents. God has been incredibly merciful to Josh and I and Henri in the past two weeks. In some ways I was just laying on the operating table praying for Henri to cry....and in some ways the past two weeks have taken a lifetime. We really rely and appreciate all the well wishes and prayers for our family and are looking forward to bringing Henri home in the near future.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Henri did not feed well after his circ"

As a nurse, you should have known better than to circumcise your helpless infant. People who insist on doing that to an infant are so cruel. Didn't you do any research? How does Europe and the UK and Asia and South America and Austrialia and Canada survive without circumcision? Cruel and pointless prodecure.

Josh and Mel Byrge said...

Anonymous,

Perhaps we should reserve circumcision for individuals who are too liberal with their opinions. This is not a forum for individual persuasions. It is for us to communicate information to family and friends. If you fall into either category, make sure I don't ever find out that you made this post. The decisions we make regarding Henri's care are not open for discussion.

Anonymous said...

Well stated Josh. Thank you for sharing your lives with us through this forum and I am so very sorry that someone has decided to give you grief over a decision that is yours and Mel's to make. There are pros and cons to alot of matters in life. We all have to choose the path that is right for us and what we believe is right for OUR OWN children.